Re: Cygwin, symlinks, and wine

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 09:52:26PM -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:
>Although it seems strange to run cygwin on top of wine, doing so would
>make it possible to run a lot of build scripts for windows apps
>unchanged, which would be very handy in verifying that wine works
>properly (see http://wiki.winehq.org/UnitTestSuites ).
>
>The problem is, wine doesn't support the system attribute on files
>well.

The system attribute isn't needed for the .lnk type of symlink that
you're talking about.  The file just has to be read-only.  So something
else is wrong.

>Since cygwin special cases some file system that doesn't support the
>system attribute, maybe it could do something similar when running in
>Wine.  Or alternately, Wine could notice the attempt to set the system
>bit on a file that looks like a cygwin symlink, and create instead a
>real unix symlink.  (Probably not a good idea, offhand.)
>
>Has anybody thought about this issue?

Well, this isn't the first time that someone has suggested that getting
Cygwin running on Wine is a good idea but no one has ever been able to
convince a Cygwin developer (like me) that installing Wine and going to
the effort of testing Cygwin there was worth the effort.  I'd think that
people who work with Wine would be familiar with programming for Windows
and would be able to provide patches.  As I'm sure you know code always
speaks more loudly than feature requests.

cgf