Re: Unable to use cpan

Reini Urban wrote:
2009/8/20 Andrew DeFaria:
Huh? It's not a permissions problem, it's a file naming problem. Removing the /home/p6258c/.cpan/modules to make this simpler, the error message is saying it is unable to rename 03modlist.data.*gz*.tmp3996 because there is no such file or directory. The error message is right - there is no file by that name. There is, however, a file by the name of 03modlist.data.tmp3669.*gz*. Note the placement of the letters "gz" - highlighted by surrounding it with "*"'s (that are not in the filename nor the error message). Of course mv will not work when you use the wrong file name. The question is why is cpan(1) using the wrong file name? Or is it ncftpget which gets it wrong? I don't know. All I know is that it just doesn't work...
Looks like your download client (ncftp) misnames the output name. I use wget successfully with the proxy settings at work. LWP should also be able to use a proxy.
I would think that ncftp would only name a file that which it was told to name a file. Do you know of any way to turn on tracing of some sort to see more of what is going on under the hood?

Thanks for the ideas of trying to set proxy info for other methods such as wget and LWP. I thought I did try setting that before. Any pointers on how you do set that proxy info?
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Can fat people go skinny-dipping?