Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: run-1.1.11-1

On 8/12/2009 2:15 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
On 8/12/2009 1:34 PM, Charles Wilson wrote:
Ken Brown wrote:
I'm running XP SP3. To reproduce the problem:

1. Start the X server by using the start menu shortcut (which invokes
run.exe on startxwin.bat).
2. Start emacs by the shortcut above.
3. List the home directory via C-x d [RET].
4. Repeatedly press the space bar to scroll through the list.  There is
often a delay before the cursor moves.

Reverting to run-1.1.10-1 solves the problem.

Thanks for the report. Do you know if emacs.exe itself contains its own version of hide-the-console?

Apparently not, in view of my answer below to your next question.

What happens if you (temporarily) do the
following:

change your system environment variable settings (using the My Computer
properties window, etc) to set

DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
PATH=C:\cygwin-1.7\bin;<and whatever else you had>

and then create a shortcut directly to emacs.exe? (I know, emacs.exe
might rely too heavily on the .dotfiles settings that get pulled in by
launching it via bash -c -l /usr/bin/emacs.  Just humor me, for now.)

A console window opens, and emacs then opens in its own window (as expected under X). Emacs works fine, and the console window stays open until I exit from emacs.

BTW, you *are* using cygwin-1.7 + run-1.1.11-10 (not -1.1.11-1) when you
see the problem, right?

Yes; cygcheck output is attached.

By the way, a similar problem was reported with the old run.exe in http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-07/msg00111.html, and the solution there was to set CYGWIN=tty. But that was a different situation, because the OP was starting in the cygwin console. I've tried setting CYGWIN=tty (using My Computer), and this doesn't make any difference.

Ken