Re: How to install-libLTLIBRARIES dll to bin?

Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
> The assumption that $bindir is $libdir/../bin has been there for some
> time; anyone using a nonconformant --bindir= is on their own anyway
> regardless of this patch.

  The assumption is in libtool, not in autoconf, nor in configure, nor in the
Gnu Coding Standards, and it is an invalid assumption(*).  It is *libtool* that
fails to conform, by assuming that $bindir will always and only ever have the
/default/ value that is assigned by configure when the user does not specify
their own choice of setting.

  Why on earth would the --bindir= option even exist if there was no valid way
of ever using it?

    cheers,
      DaveK
--
(*) - or rather, it is not an assumption at all; it is, as I previously
explained, a fallible heuristic.