libffi-3.0 (was: Re: How to install-libLTLIBRARIES dll to bin?)

On 09/08/2009 13:19, Dave Korn wrote:
   Ah, you won't have seen the recent thread.  GCC and libffi are now synced
upstream.  The version numbering is a red-herring; there were only ever minor
discrepancies between the two, it's not meant to be an API bump.

I had wondered about that; a diff of the two versions' headers didn't show anything warranting the bump.

Hm, I'm not sure how (or even if for that matter) it ended up getting resolved,

From a quick scan of the gcc patches list, it looks like they just synced the code between gcc and libffi. But, AFAICS from gcc SVN, they didn't add a libffi.pc pkg-config file, which the standalone version provides and some libffi-dependent packages expect to find. (Yes, I know how to override a pkg-config check, but still...)

> but the upshot of it all is that we should be able to get away with just
shipping one version between us.

That would be nice, but that won't be available until gcc-4.5, right? Until then, is the libffi in gcc-4.[34] work well enough on x86 to use in the meantime, particularly if the package explicitly depends on libffi-3.0?

Yaakov