(everything!) command not found

After my XP laptop died I have gone to Vista. I installed cygwin on vista, then did ash and
rebaseall, and now when I run cygwin, no matter what I do it says "command not found". I
thought it was a permissions thing so (I think) I changed the permissions by unclicking the
"Read only" button under properties for all cygwin files in vista, but I can't actually tell whether
I changed the permissions because I can't do "ls -la". Also, on XP the command prompt
defaulted to something other than bash-3.2$. I'm not sure if that's a problem - but it's a bit
strange.

Please help. I've been googling for solutions for days now. I would really prefer if you could
put things in simple instructions for me.

Thank you!!
-Debra