Readline not working anymore in interactive interpreters

Since the last Cygwin update (I am now at 3.2.49(22)-release)
readline is no longer working in some interpreters started
from the bash shell, i.e., the languages offer an interactive
prompt and I used to be able to recall earlier commands
with the arrow keys but no more. This still works from the
shell prompt and from from some interactive interpreters
(e.g., python) but not from all. The interpreter executables
in question have no changed in a long time; they are not the
cause. What could it be? This is hugely inconvenient for the
kind of work I do, crippling in fact.

Thanks a lot for any hints,

-- O.L.