Re: [1.7] login ignores /etc/passwd in first invokation

On Jul 21 21:18, Wolfgang Goetz wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > On Jul 20 23:54, Wolfgang Goetz wrote:
> snippet from 'net config workstation':
> Workstation domain                   EMEA
> Logon domain                         AD1
>

> > Are you sure /etc/passwd is really correct?
>
> made with mkpasswd -l -d,   homepath changed for my account.

I'm not entirely sure, but it might help to call `mkpasswd -l -d AD1
instead.

> > What do you mean by "HOSTNAME missing"?  The environment variable?
>
> the first cygcheck output doesn't show the HOSTNAME environment.

That's weird because Cygwin does nothing to the environment
variable $HOSTNAME.  That's a shell thingy.

> > I have no idea why this happens for you.  Some debugging will be necessary.
> > Starting the first bash from strace might give a clue.
>
> BTDT, attached.
> and believe me ... there is no /etc/passwd with 9 lines ;)

Nevertheless Cygwin only recognizes 9 valid lines.  Even if the passwd
file has more lines, the number of lines accepted by Cygwin can be less,
if the content is not valid.  But that should only happen if the uid and
gid fields are not valid unsigned long values, which is quite unlikely.

How big is your /etc/passwd in bytes and how many lines does it have?

Please start your first bash under strace again and call it like this:

  C:\cygwin\bin> strace -o bash.out -m 0xfffff bash

This will give us some more information.

Corinna

Red Hat