Re: Bash initialization w/cygwin-1.7 on NT4

On Mon, Jul 06, 2009 at 10:55:40AM -0700, Jerry DeLisle wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>--- snip ---
>>> I will try the manual process you suggested after I figure out how to get the
>>> snapshot and when it is available.
>>

>Bare in mind that I am using the broken environment to do this.

The fact that I could duplicate the problem means that I'm in the same
state as you.

>I managed to extract the snapshot and replace the cygwin1.dll while not
>running any cygwin apps.  Restarting a shell seems to function as
>before, uninitialized.
>
>I then go to /etc/postinstall to find the scripts.  They are all
>suffixed with .done.  Are these the scripts I should attempt to run?

Yes.

You need to do something like:

c:
cd \cygwin\etc
for %f in (*.done) do sh ./%f

That's what I did (although I've turned off my system and don't have the
exact syntax so I might have gotten it wrong).  I did see an error about
midway through as sh was processing the files which I have to
investigate but it wasn't a STACK_OVERFLOW and it seemed to be coming
from bash itself.  When I was done, after clicking on the cygwin icon, I
had the expected bash prompt.

>I thought maybe I could just try to reinstall bash after replacing the
>cygwin1.dll.  What do you think?

That won't cause all of the other postinstall scripts to run.

cgf