Re: [ot] Permissions issue

Jason Pyeron wrote:

>>> On the local disk, C:\Documents and Settings\All
>>> Users\workspace\nitams\x.txt
>>>
>>> In wordpad I choose save and I get access denied.
>>   Please report bugs in wordpad to Microsoft, not us.  (Well,
>> I guess you did tag it OT!)
>
> It is many applications, including Sun's java, wordpad, etc... Pretty much
> everything I have tried except Cygwin apps fail. Since only Cygwin apps work I
> am asking here.

  Bear in mind that files created by Cygwin apps use POSIX permission schemes:
rwx/ugo.  This is handled by setting windows access permissions on the files.
 If you chmod a file to remove 'w' perms in cygwin, you won't be able to
overwrite it in windows apps either.

>>> 22:29:45	wordpad.exe:2664	QUERY INFORMATION
>> C:\Documents and
>>> Settings\All Users\workspace\nitams\x.txt	SUCCESS	Attributes: HA

>>> Any ideas where to start on this?
>>   Clear the "hidden" attribute from x.txt?
>
> Yes, that and the readonly attribute are clear.

  According to your log file above, it has the hidden and archive attributes
set.  I ran a quick test using wordpad to edit C:\autoexec.bat, which comes
with the hidden attribute on by default; wordpad reports permission denied if
you try and save the file.  If you clear the attribute, wordpad saves it ok.
Cygwin apps don't care about the DOS attributes, only the ACLs.  So I think
you need to double-check.

    cheers,
      DaveK