Re: Problem with single quotes

Thanks Eric for your reply.
Yeah you are right, I am actually new to shell scripting and I downloaded
cygwin only to learn shell scripting. And this script was one of the
assignment question of the book I am reading to learn shell scripting.
Actually now it may seem funny but I mistakenly used single quotes instead
of back quotes (key left to 1 in the keyboard) which I figured out just now.
If I use back quotes, my code also works. :)

And thanks again, I got to know many new things from your such a exhaustive
and well framed reply, and a work around of the problem I was trying to
solve.

Regards