Re: Possible Bug or limitation in Cygwin 1.7 and Rsync and file number limit

On Jun 19 15:55, Lists wrote:
<snip>
Can you upgrade to the latest Cygwin 1.7 package and try again. From your
cygcheck output, it looks like things are not correct but this may be just
a problem with an old cygcheck that doesn't know how to find the implicit
mounts. If the issue is still the same, resending the output of the new
cygcheck would be helpful.

I just downloaded the newest version of cygwin 1.7 as of 6-19-09 at approximately 3:30 CST and had the exact same results. Please find the new cygcheck.out file attached. You mentioned above that their might be a problem with the mounts. Not sure if it helps to know this, but I can successfully use rsync to copy many gigabytes of files. It just hangs when there are thousands of files in a single directory (9,000 seems to always do it.). Also note that this cygcheck was done on a different computer than the first just to make sure this isn't computer specific. Again, I have tried it on several.

Works fine for me under the latest Cygwin 1.7.0-50 using your perl script and your rsync options. I tend to agree to Larry's assumption that some 3PP is interferring.

Corinna

Sorry to just now be replying but I have been out of the country. I tried the same procedure on yet another computer. I actually got it to run one time without a problem. I then deleted the copied files and repeated the procedure and got the same problem again.

I am totally convienced there is a problem here. One of the machines I have been working on is a "clean" machine, meaning that it has no other software on it other than the OS and this software. I keep a machine around like this for just such purposes. After using it for a while, I reload it. By the way, some of the machines I have tried are not even on the same network.

So, I have tried this on at least 10 machines now and all exhibit the same behavior. I could attach another output from but they all look pretty much like the previous ones I attached.

Can anyone else try this and confirm the problem? If it works, I suspect if you try it again a time or two, you too will see the problem. Before trying it again, you need to make sure and delete the files from the destination directory.

Thank you.

- Kyle