Re: popup consoles on Windows 7

On Jun 26 10:39, Andy Koppe wrote:
> 2009/6/26 Corinna Vinschen
> > The issue will definitely not be fixed in RTM. ?Oh well.
>
> :(
>
> > We will have
> > to find a W7 workaround for our method of creating a hidden console. ?I
> > have asked Microsoft to provide us with a workaround but I have no
> > really big hope that they can or will do it. ?Any suggestions?
>
> The proper, yet probably completely impractical solution: compile
> Cygwin programs for the GUI subsystem instead of the console one and
> attach to the parent process' console, if any, with explicit calls at
> program startup. POSIX programs don't use the Win32 console API, so
> there should be no need to always have a console available.

The problem is rather that you want to be able to run certain native
applications which refuse to run if no console is allocated.  Or they
pop up a console on their own.

> Otherwise:
>
>     DWORD version = GetVersion();
>     version = ((version & 0xff) << 8) | ((version >> 8) & 0xff);
>     if (version >= 0x0601 && AllocConsole())
>       ShowWindowAsync(GetConsoleWindow(), SW_HIDE);
>
> Still looks bad though, with "subliminal" popups, as demonstrated by
> mintty on Windows 7.

And what's really bad is that the console shows up in the taskbar.

I already tried if creating another desktop will help to fix this
problem, but to no avail.  I'm still looking, but it seems to be
a dead end.

Corinna

Red Hat