Re: w32-shell-execute function definition is void

On 6/16/2009 2:20 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 06:49:14 -0400
From: Ken Brown <kbrown at cornell dot edu>

Finally, still in cygwin-init.el, I slightly modify browse-url-of-file:

;; browse-url-of-file doesn't work right under cygwin; I'll just open
;; the file using cygstart instead of trying to convert the filename
;; to a URL.
[...]
I'm sure there are better ways to do this, but the above is easy and has worked for me for years. If Eli is watching this thread, maybe he can suggest something better that could be submitted as a patch to the emacs developers.

The first step is, obviously, reporting (preferably to emacs-devel or the bug tracker) the details of why the stock browse-url-of-file does not work on Cygwin.

It's been several years since I looked at this and found my workaround, and I've forgotten the details of what went wrong. I'll take another look when I get a chance and submit a patch or bug report, unless someone beats me to it. (Marc?)

Ken