Re: Using emacs in a terminal window

> I'd say it's a bug that the rxvt max_colors entry is 8, since rxvt
> does support 256 colours in its default setting. (And I notice it's
> the same with xterm.) Don't know whether there are compatibility
> concerns that require that.

Just to be clear, the default terminfo capability for Cygwin rxvt
is rxvt-cygwin-native, and that is what I used for comparison.
There is no corresponding 'rxvt-cygwin-256color'.

> However, the correct way to address this is to set TERM to
> rxvt-256color (or xterm-256color, as appropriate) rather than
> Eterm-256color.

That sounds reasonable and appears to be a really good
suggestion (even if there is no 'rxvt-cygwin-256color').

I tried it and found that it appears to give a
color/font/underlining capability identical to Eterm-256color,
but it fixes a defect in Eterm-256color, namely, the mode
line was not being shaded appropriately depending on which
window in the frame was active.  Using TERM=rxvt-256color,
the mode-line highlighting now follows the active window,
as expected.  This appears to be the best default TERM
setting for terminal-mode Emacs running in Cygwin (native)
rxvt.

env TERM=rxvt-256color emacs -nw ...

Thank you for the suggestion!

I will leave it to regular mintty+Emacs users to suggest
the best default TERM setting for that terminal emulator.

---