Re: Cygwin SSH Multiple Users

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU>. Reformatted.

Huang Bambo wrote:
2009/6/5 Holikar, Sachin (ext) <sachin <dot> holikar <dot> ext <AT> siemens <dot> com>:
                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^->
<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>
Thanks.

Hello,

We reinstalled WINXP and CYGWIN with another dumps. But still not able
to  start the sshd service. Really frustrated as we followed exact steps given
in most of the internet help pages. So whats going wrong , is there any way
to find out what more is needed or so? Where can we have the sshd logs.
One file we found is /var/log/sshd.log ...But its empty.......
Please suggest.
> use command
> /usr/sbin/sshd
> to try start first

This seems to be a favorite thing to suggest/try lately.  I suppose
because it's a common debugging option on most Unix/Linux distributions.
But on Cygwin, just suggesting the above and leaving the rest to the
otherwise uninitiated is like helping someone out of a hole by handing
them a shovel and telling them too dig.  If you ever plan to run 'sshd'
as a service (as configuring using 'ssh-host-config' will do for you),
this will only work if you do the above as the user that will run the
service.  On XP, that's SYSTEM.  So you need to start a SYSTEM-owned
shell using AT before the above isn't just a recipe for more headaches.
See the email archives for details if you're not sure how to start a
SYSTEM-owned shell.  Or just stop and ask yourself why you need to know
how to do this (beyond intellectual curiousity of course! ;-) )  And of
course if you're starting 'sshd' using any configuration other than
the 'ssh-host-config' script, then you should really know what you're
doing, as I outlined in my response from yesterday:

<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-06/msg00175.html>

Since the OP is having difficulties with 'sshd' on Cygwin and is asking
for help here, I would surmise that he falls into the category of
the uninitiated in this instance.  So, my recommendations are to:

  1. Look at 'ssh-host-config' and note all the directories that it
     does "chown" on.
  2. Run 'ssh-host-config' to configure 'sshd'.  Take the defaults unless
     you have a very good reason not to.
  3. Check after the script completes that the ownerships of the directories
     found in (1) above are as 'ssh-host-config' set them.  On XP systems,
     the "$(run_service_as}" user is SYSTEM.

Following random guides found on the Internet to configure Cygwin's 'sshd'
is not supported by this list.  Reading the openssh readme in
'/usr/share/doc/Cygwin' is only supported documentation.  If you prefer to
use another source for your configuration information, please avail yourself
of any support/help from the site where you got this information.

Holliston, MA 01746