Re: FAQ 4.46, applications interfere with subversion or not?

On Jun 4 14:33, David Rothenberger wrote:
On 6/3/2009 8:37 AM, David Rothenberger wrote:
On 6/3/2009 8:20 AM, masc wrote:
When using cygwin's cvs2svn with subversion (1.6.2 r37639) while running
Avira AntiVir (http://www.avira.com/en/pages/index.php), svnadmin is failing
sporadically due to permission failure moving files.
The subversion code base has some hacks to retry various file operations to work around this issue. These hacks are enabled for a Windows build but not for Cygwin. I've attempted to port these hacks to Cygwin, but I may have missed an error code or three, thus not retrying some errors that should be retried.
I just uploaded a new version of Subversion for 1.5 with a fix for the retry patch. I had missed a case when moving files.

Are you using Cygwin 1.5 or 1.7? I have disabled this hack in the 1.7 build because I was hoping 1.7's more robust file renaming and deleting code would come to the rescue.
It turns out that these problems still occur with 1.7, although less frequently, so I've also released new Subversion packages for 1.7 with the updated retry patch added.

Did we discuss this already?

No.

Can you nail down the problem into a simple testcase?

I kinda doubt it. Subversion is using APR to move a file, and the error occurs only sporadically if some other Windows program (e.g., virus scanner) has the file that's being moved open. Do you expect that to work with 1.7?

"Oh what wouldn't I give to be spat at in the face..."
                -- a prisoner in "Life of Brian"