Re: How to run GNU Emacs from Windows icon

emacs can use gtk+, so libXaw7 is not necessary.

Only one of the two, gtk+ or libXaw7 are required.  I use gtk+ for example.
Using gtk+ does require a simple work around to use it however, such as

# put the following line in your ~/.xinitrc file
export G_SLICE=always-malloc
exec emacs &

or from within an x window
more simply: (from an X-shell !)