Re: Unable to convert postscript to usable form, using either ps2pdf or gs

Am 01.06.2009, 23:33 Uhr, schrieb David Karr <dkarr@real.com>:

I have a generated postscript file (from trueprint) that I need to get into a usable form on Windows, so I can view it and print it. I've tried both
"ps2pdf" and "gs", with no success so far.

I first tried using "ps2pdf". This fails with:

---------------
% ps2pdf tp.ps tp.pdf
GPL Ghostscript 8.62: **** Could not open temporary file
/c/DOCUME~1/User/LOCALS~1/Temp/gs_dwvfJL
**** Unable to open the initial device, quitting.
---------------

It isn't an obvious permissions problem, because I can "touch" that file
with no problem.

Confirm - with for instance "type -a ps2pdf" or "which ps2pdf" if you're really invoking the ps2pdf you believe you're invoking, and if not, fix your installation and/or the PATH variable (though Windows's dialogue).

I've had all sorts of issues when my Cygwin box inadvertently ended up using the notoriously-outdated ps2pdf that got installed by MATLAB and ended up earlier in the $PATH...

I then tried just "gs tp.ps", and that fails with this:

------------------
% gs tp.ps
GPL Ghostscript 8.62 (2008-02-29)
Copyright (C) 2008 Artifex Software, Inc. All rights reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.
/usr/share/ghostscript/fonts/n022003l.pfb... 2449904 1067520 4774456 3452340
3456751
1 done.
GPL Ghostscript 8.62: **** Could not open the file  .
Error: /invalidfileaccess in --showpage--
Operand stack:
   1   true

Is the output file in use? You cannot overwrite open file because most (not all) applications lock their input files. A notable exception for PDF viewers is SumatraPDF.

--
Matthias Andree