rsync repeates transfers Vista-->Ubuntu

Hi all, this is my first post here, so I hope that I am posting in the right
place.
I am trying to set up a backup system using rsync to transfer files from a
client running Vista and rsync in cygwin to a server running Linux (Ubuntu
8.10). The server has an external drive formatted FAT32. The client initiates
the transfer and uses the rsync daemon (though the same thing happened over SSH).
When I back up the client's c drive to the server's external drive, the transfer
seems to go fine. However, if I run it again immediately, it does another huge
file transfer, repeating much of what it has already done.
The modification dates on the files don't always match on the client and
server--some are listed one hour off if they are in standard, rather than
daylight, time. I don't know if the actual times are different, it might just be
the OSs different ways of displaying them. Anyway, that does not seem to affect
which files are recopied. Even with rsync using --modify-window=4000 to give
more than an hour of slop on the time, it does the same thing.
My only remaining thought is that the FAT format on the server's external drive
might be causing trouble.
Any ideas what might be causing this and how to get around it? I'm not an
expert, so I'm hoping it's something silly that I've overlooked.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Weston