Re: [1.7] Proposal: the filename encoding in C locale uses UTF-8 instead of SO/UTF-8

On May 15 01:34, IWAMURO Motonori wrote:
> 2009/5/15 Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com>:
> > Here's one problem. ?What if an application uses setenv("LANG", ...)?
>
> Oh. Hmmm, I think that anything should not occur.
>
> > Do you want Cygwin to intercept all calls to setenv() to check for
> > setting $LC_ALL/LC_CTYPE/LANG?
>
> No. I think that only setlocale() has to do the check.
> The reason:
> - setlocale(LC_CTYPE, "C") is called from Cygwin startup.
> - The following code become valid.
> setenv("LANG", "...");
> setlocale(LC_ALL, "");

Ok, that makes sense.  I'm just testing a patch which use the
environment settings internally as you proposed (still keeping UTF-8 the
default for the "C" locale).  So far it works fine, I have just trouble
with SJIS, but that's not something I can easily test.  I'm simply
lacking a real understanding of the SJIS encoding.  Maybe you can look
into that in the next couple of days?  I'll be mostly offline next week
and the week after so there's a lot time for testing ;-)

Corinna

Red Hat