Re: [1.7] Proposal: the filename encoding in C locale uses UTF-8 instead of SO/UTF-8

Hi.

My idea is as follows:

1)  separate mbtowc/wctomb function entries to library usage and
system usage. (__mbtowc/__wctomb & __sys_mbtowc/__sys_wctomb)

2) If call setlocale(LC_CTYPE) by locale != "C", then lib == sys.

3) If call setlocale(LC_CTYPE) by locale == "C", then sys is set by
LC_ALL/LC_CTYPE/LANG. If LC_ALL/LC_CTYPE/LANG are not set, use UTF-8
converter.

Cygwin startup call setlocale(LC_CTYPE, "C") at winsup/cygwin/dcrt0.cc.

I think that the result is as follows:

1) LANG=C
   lib = ascii converter, sys = UTF-8 converter.

2) LANG=xx_XX.ENCODING & not call setlocale.
   lib = ascii converter, sys = ENCODING converter.

3) LANG=xx_XX.ENCODING & call setlocale(LC_ALL, "").
   lib = ENCODING converter, sys = ENCODING converter.

I think that [cat `read_dir_entry_and_print_app`] works correctly above all.

I am writing this patch and test code now.

> One problem can't be solved this way: ?If an application fetches
> and stores a filename, then switches the locale, and then tries
> to use the filename in another system call, the filename is
> potentially broken.

If the application switches the encoding while processing, I think
that the problem is a responsibility of the application.

IWAMURO Motnori <http://vmi.jp/>