Re: Cygwin programs doesn't support non-ASCII filenames

On May  9 23:12, Lenik wrote:
> (This mail is encoded in utf-8)
>[...]
> The two chinese characters encoding in:
> GB2312: d7 c0 c3 e6
> UTF-8: e6 a1 8c e9 9d a2
> Unicode: \u684c \u9762
>[...]
> This is a new test don't use cygpath:
>     C:\Profiles\Shecti> set LANG=& bash -c "cat ??????"
>     cat: ??????: No such file or directory

I'm just looking into this issue and I do not quite understand how you
came up with the filename in this example.  Above you mention that the
mail is in UTF-8.  However, when I look into this email using `od -t
x1', the multibyte sequence in your example is e4 bd a0 e5 a5 bd, rather
than the aforementioned UTF-8 sequence e6 a1 8c e9 9d a2.  Nor does it
match the aforementioned GB2312 sequence d7 c0 c3 e6.  Can you please
explain how the multibyte sequence in the example is related to the
above GB2312 and UTF-8 sequences?

Corinna

Red Hat