RE: Wodim and ramping up speed

Jason Pyeron wrote on Monday, May 11, 2009 12:33 PM:
> I was just wondering if this is proper as it struck me as odd.

No, it is not proper.  It is off-topic for this mailing list.  As far
as I know, cygwin does not interact directly with hardware.  It asks
Windows to do that.  So speed issues will usually depend on the
capabilities of Windows and the hardware, not cygwin, and thus OT.

> I know that the maximum data throughput on a device is a function of
> the radius and rotation speed, but why doe the disc speed (not write
> speed) change?
>
> In fact it changes when the write speed changes too.

That is true for hard disks.  Audio CDs store data in a spiral, not
ring-like tracks.  They are read at constant linear velocity.  See
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Disc#Main_physical_parameters
      Scanning velocity: 1.2-1.4 m/s (constant linear velocity) -
      equivalent to approximately 500 rpm at the inside of the disc,
      and approximately 200 rpm at the outside edge
Verifying that the same is true for data CDs is left as an exercise
for the reader.