Re: Can cygwin boot faster?

Lenik wrote:
I feel it has been slightly faster in cygwin-1.7 than cygwin-1.6. But it is still very slow compared to msys-1.10. What does cygwin indeed execute when start up? Is it loaded too much, for example the network libraries? I noticed that paths leading with two slashes '//', which is often created by path join functions, for example $prefix/somewhere, when $prefix points to the root "/". When such paths (//...) are accessed, cygwin seems to treat it as some kind of URL and halt for several seconds, while msys always merge the duplicated slashes to '/...'.

<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.using.slow>

Don't read too much into the "suddenly" part.  The FAQ has been around for
a while.

Because of the slow speed, when I'm programming with cygwin, I will carefully to invoke command calls to the cygwin executables, to reduce the start up cost. for example, if I want to uppercase a string, I will do it in 26 built-in variable expansion as:
VAR="${VAR//a/A}"
VAR="${VAR//b/B}"
VAR="${VAR//c/C}"
VAR="${VAR//z/Z}"
rather then by simply execute:
VAR=$(echo $VAR | tr [a-z] [A-Z])

<snip>

Others on the list may have specific ideas for you to apply but as a rule
of thumb, you should limit process creation if performance is a prime
concern.  Windows is less efficient with process creation/management than
Linux.

Holliston, MA 01746