[1.7] Question: running from a portable drive

I run both [1.5] and [1.7] off portable drives plugged into whatever host machine I'm using. After what originally took a lot of messing about involving DOS variables like %CD% and %CWD% and DOS startup batch files, [1.5] is successfully mounted at each use and will run successfully without needing to specify (or even know) the driveletter that has been allocated by the host to the portable drive on which it is installed.

With [1.7] things are different and at the moment I have an explicit drive letter in my /etc/fstab which in full is:

m:/bin /usr/bin vfat binary 0 0
m:/lib /usr/lib vfat binary 0 0
none / cygdrive user,posix=0 0 0

and I take steps to ensure that the driveletter allocated by the host to the portable drive on which [1.7] is installed is M:. This is fine on "my" machines but is not always possible on others'.

Can I write /etc/fstab more generally so that [1.7], like [1.5], can be made to run off a portable drive without needing to specify (or even know) the driveletter allocated by the host to the portable drive?

Thank you.

Fergus