detecting program invocation from a symbolic link

I have some C++ code that runs from the command line in a console shell. It is designed to behave differently depending on whether it was called directly by name or by a differently named symbolic link. This is easy to check under Unix because argv[0] contains the name of the first command line argument, which is either the executable name or the name of the link.

This doesn't work under Windows, however, because argv[0] always contains the name of the program being called whether it is actually on the command line or via a link.

Even symbolic links created using 'ln -s' under Cygwin behave this way. I'm wondering if there is a way around this problem. In other words, any way for my C++ program to detect the name of the symbolic link if one was used to invoke the executable.

Thanks,

J. J. Ottusch