Re: popup consoles on Windows 7

I think I found the reason why consoles pop up for mintty and XWin on
Windows 7. Cygwin's fhandler_console.cc uses a clever trick where it
allocates a console on an invisible custom "window station". I tried
to do the same in the mintty child process, but found that
AllocConsole() no longer cares whether a custom window station has
been selected with SetProcessWindowStation(): the console window is
opened on the default window station anyway.

Here's what I did, between forkpty() and exec():

    DWORD version = GetVersion();
    version = ((version & 0xff) << 8) | ((version >> 8) & 0xff);
    if (version >= 0x0601) {
      HWINSTA wst0 = GetProcessWindowStation();
      HWINSTA wst = CreateWindowStation (NULL, 1, WINSTA_ALL_ACCESS, &sa);
      SetProcessWindowStation(wst);
      AllocConsole();
      SetProcessWindowStation(wst0);
      CloseWindowStation(wst);
    }

Debug output showed that the function calls all succeeded, and that
CreateWindowStation() did create a station separate from the default
one.

No idea what to do about it ...

Andy