Re: Issue installing Cygwin 1.5.25-15: packages are downloaded, but setup exits prior to installation

Nate Meyer wrote:
To preface this, I did search the archives first, apologizes if I
missed something.

OS: Windows Vista x64
Installation Path: c:\cygwin
Download Path: j:\temp

Issue:
When I attempt to install the latest version of Cygwin the packages
are downloaded successfully, and I receive a dialog box titled
"set_sygdrive_flags" that says, "The operation completely
sucessfully." Clicking OK in this dialog immediately closes the
installer.

I wind up with a series of empty directories under c:\cygwin. All of
the packages seem to have been download to j:\temp as there is 900mb
or so of data there, but it is not actually installing.

I have tried installing from the internet, as well as installing from
a local directory. Installing from a local directory produces the same
behavior, minus the download of course.

I have tried different mirrors and the behavior is the same. The
installer is running with admin privileges. I have tried completely
deleting c:\cygwin and reinstalling.

At this point I'm a little unsure of where the issue could lie.
Following this email, I'll be disabling everything I can with msconfig
and attempting reinstallation. This seems like a longshot to me.

Any other suggestions?

My WAG - you have a <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#3PP> app installed.  Search
your disk for a rogue cygwin1.dll and remove all traces of it with the
appropriate variations of these steps to remove a Cygwin installation from
your system:

<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.uninstall-all>

Keep in mind that any 3PP isn't going to follow proper Cygwin operational
rules so not all steps in the above will necessarily apply.

YMMV. :-)

Holliston, MA 01746