Cygwin windows 2000 self-destruct

I wanted to build the gnu compilers on my cygwin installation on my windows 2000 desktop. This is cygwin version 2.573.2.2, which was running fine until this afternoon.

When I tried to install the gnu compiler package, I received an error from windows in setup, that caused windows to kill the setup and (allegedly) write a log file (where?). I thought perhaps it was a permissions error, so I tried it as administrator, which also did not work; same error. I suspected perhaps anti-virus or anti-spyware was to blame, so I killed them both as administrator and tried again, still no luck.

I then downloaded the latest setup and tried it (both anti-virus an anti-spyware turned off); that did not work either (same error). I then gave up and rebooted, and life got dramatically worse.

I can no longer start XWin. If I double click the icon windows brings up a message that it is looking for "startxwin.bat", which is odd because it was there before I started this. I could not find it, either. I did find an old "startxwin.bat", but it does not work. Attempting to run it gives a fatal error.

How do I regain my cygwin functionality? I would like to be able to setup the gnu compiler collection if possible, but at this point just getting XWin back would be progress.

thank you
Lee Parsons