Re: Using Cygwin compiled libs in Visual Studio

On Sat, Apr 04, 2009 at 08:55:42PM +0100, Olumide wrote:
>On Sat, Apr 04, 2009 at 02:11:11PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>On Sat, Apr 04, 2009 at 04:48:25PM +0100, Olumide wrote:
>>>I guess what I find surprising is that gcc can be used to produce
>>>Windows XP runnable code.  Here's a typical compilation command
>>>generated by the build process: ...
>>Why is this surprising?  Cygwin *is* Windows XP runnable code.
>
>Is it?  Pardon my n00bness but I recall once trying to run a Cygwin
>utility from Window's cmd, just for the fun of it.  It didn't work.

Of course you can run any Cygwin based program you want.  If Cygwin
didn't produce XP runnable code how could it ever work on XP?  Cygwin
works by linking cygwin1.dll into programs like every other program
under Windows.

>But back to the main question: will a library compiled under Cygwin in
>the manner I described be linkable in Visual Studio .NET?  Your answer
>taken to the extreme, would suggest that I can link any of the core
>Cygwin (*.a) libraries and link it with the MS VS.NET toolchain.

Maybe this will help:
http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.programming.msvs-mingw

Google also seems to be pretty informative.

cgf