Re: [1.7]: /usr/bin/install fails on network drives

On Apr  3 23:06, A.R. Burgers wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen schreef:
>
>> I have no experience with DFS at all, and this would require to debug
>> what happens in your environment.  If you're willing to test, I would
>> give you a special handcrafted Cygwin DLL which prints more detailed
>> strace output to analyze what happens.  I can't promise that this is a
>> fixable situation, of course.
>
> I would be willing to test.

Cool, thank you.  I'll prepare something next week.

> Note that with cygwin 1.5,
> install and mv have always worked fine on all my shares.
> The sample script I sent shows no error messages when run from 1.5.
> Also 1.5 shows the access bits with ls -l as -rw-r--r-- for
> the DFS drive.

That means that the permissions really were just faked.  The drive was
recognized as remote drive and thus the default was to ignore
permissions and owner information and to treat the drive like a local
FAT drive.

That's not the case anymore in 1.7.

>> Btw., can you run /usr/lib/csih/getVolInfo.exe from the csih package on
>> your DFS drives (/ecn/groups and one of the others) and send the output
>> to this list?
>
> For the DFS share with the install failure:
>
> $/usr/lib/csih/getVolInfo.exe //ecn/groups/g_zon_software
> Device Type        : 6
> Characteristics    : 10
> Volume Name        : <g_zon_software$>
> Serial Number      : 5393449
> Max Filenamelength : 255
> Filesystemname     : <NTFS>
> Flags              : 4000f
>   FILE_CASE_SENSITIVE_SEARCH  : TRUE
>   FILE_CASE_PRESERVED_NAMES   : TRUE
>   FILE_UNICODE_ON_DISK        : TRUE
>   FILE_PERSISTENT_ACLS        : TRUE
>   FILE_FILE_COMPRESSION       : FALSE
>   FILE_VOLUME_QUOTAS          : FALSE
>   FILE_SUPPORTS_SPARSE_FILES  : FALSE
>   FILE_SUPPORTS_REPARSE_POINTS: FALSE
>   FILE_SUPPORTS_REMOTE_STORAGE: FALSE
>   FILE_VOLUME_IS_COMPRESSED   : FALSE
>   FILE_SUPPORTS_OBJECT_IDS    : FALSE
>   FILE_SUPPORTS_ENCRYPTION    : FALSE
>   FILE_NAMED_STREAMS          : TRUE
>   FILE_READ_ONLY_VOLUME       : FALSE
>   FILE_SEQUENTIAL_WRITE_ONCE  : FALSE
>   FILE_SUPPORTS_TRANSACTIONS  : FALSE

Please ask your admin if that's a NetApp drive.  The flag pattern
indicates that.

> For a share with mv failure only
>
> $ /usr/lib/csih/getVolInfo.exe //ecnits/ecnshare
> Device Type        : 7
> Characteristics    : 10
> Volume Name        : <ecnshare>
> Serial Number      : 192095779
> Max Filenamelength : 255
> Filesystemname     : <NTFS>
> Flags              : 2b
>   FILE_CASE_SENSITIVE_SEARCH  : TRUE
>   FILE_CASE_PRESERVED_NAMES   : TRUE
>   FILE_UNICODE_ON_DISK        : FALSE
>   FILE_PERSISTENT_ACLS        : TRUE
>   FILE_FILE_COMPRESSION       : FALSE
>   FILE_VOLUME_QUOTAS          : TRUE
>   FILE_SUPPORTS_SPARSE_FILES  : FALSE
>   FILE_SUPPORTS_REPARSE_POINTS: FALSE
>   FILE_SUPPORTS_REMOTE_STORAGE: FALSE
>   FILE_VOLUME_IS_COMPRESSED   : FALSE
>   FILE_SUPPORTS_OBJECT_IDS    : FALSE
>   FILE_SUPPORTS_ENCRYPTION    : FALSE
>   FILE_NAMED_STREAMS          : FALSE
>   FILE_READ_ONLY_VOLUME       : FALSE
>   FILE_SEQUENTIAL_WRITE_ONCE  : FALSE
>   FILE_SUPPORTS_TRANSACTIONS  : FALSE

Hmm, this looks like a Samba drive.  Can you ask your admin here
as well, please?  Especially what version of Samba is running, if so?
And what it is if it's not Samba?

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat