Re: [1.7] Updated: cygwin-1.7.0-45

On Apr  2 17:44, Stephan Mueller wrote:
> On Apr  2 16:59, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> " 2. Use the environment variable setting of LC_ALL/LC_CTYPE/LANG at
> "    the moment the console is opened the first time and then never
> "    change this setting again until the console is closed again.
> "
> " 3. Change rlogin to call setlocale(LC_ALL, ""); at the start of
> "    main.
> "
> " Solution 3 seems not feasible.  I'm leaning towards solution 2.  Does
> " anybody know a reason why we should prefer solution 1?  Does anybody
> " have another solution?
>
> How about 2, with a background effort towards 3 for each of the
> relevant apps -- just push the setlocale call upstream based on
> the Good Idea aspect.  Someday, (at this point in the Cygwin
> 1.7-to-1.9 transition, perhaps :-) the norm will be for remote
> connection apps to call setlocale, 2 can be removed if desired,
> and any apps that still break may be considered broken -- to be
> fixed with a setlocale(), just like all the now well-behaved
> apps which set the precedent due to the effort started now?

The problem is this:  rlogin or ssh work just fine on any other system
even if they don't use setlocale().  The reason is that the terminal
window is an independent process from the rlogin/ssh process, while in
our case, the Windows console is managed by the running application
itself.  So, in case of other systems you never have this problem and,
given that, I'm wondering if, say, OpenSSH upstream looks friendly on
that approach, just to support the Windows console window under Cygwin.
Especially given that OpenSSH is not localized at all.

Corinna

Red Hat