Re: sed converts 8-bit input text to 16-bit (Unicode-16?) characters - how to suppress that?

On Mar 30 13:48, Michael Moser wrote:
> I need to mangle a file containing "8-bit ASCII" characters (i.e. the
> file contains also characters in the upper 8-bit range, namely a few
> umlauts as well as some french accented characters).
>
> Strange enough, the SED version that came as part of cygwin emits the
> result of the mangling using 16-bit characters (I believe those are
> Unicode-16 characters, but not sure. The Hexeditor shows each second
> byte as always 00, execpt for the first two bytes which read FF FE).

This is very likely not Cygwin's sed.  Do you have another sed in $PATH
by any chance?  I tried with input files containing german umlauts and
sed does not convert to wide char and it does not produce a BOM marker
at the start of the file.

Corinna

Red Hat