problem with pthread.h

I have been trying to compile a program that needs to use the pthread library under cygwin. I have installed the newest versions of all of the tools. The file pthread.h is there in /usr/include, but the types used in it, like pthread_attr_t for example, are normally defined in sys/types.h. Except that for cygwin, they are not there. Trying to compile it with an older version of the file types.h that had these types defined resulted in incompatibilities for other types, like time_t, for example.

Please advise.

Dana Vrajitoru