rsync under cygwin too slow

Further to my earlier thread (Re: ls -lR too slow) which seems to have died, I tried backing up my laptop to smbshared folder on desktop using rsync. Both machines are running Vista+SP1 and on gigabit LAN sitting next to each other. The following statistics displayed by rsync is completely misleading:

rsync -rtuplg --stats --verbose --progress --modify-window=2 /cygdrive/c/localfolder /cygdrive/z/backups/
Number of files: 24518
Number of files transferred: 0
Total file size: 5805610746 bytes
Total transferred file size: 0 bytes
Literal data: 0 bytes
Matched data: 0 bytes
File list size: 497277
File list generation time: 188.978 seconds
File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds
Total bytes sent: 644377
Total bytes received: 147104

sent 644377 bytes  received 147104 bytes  454.22 bytes/sec
total size is 5805610746  speedup is 7335.12

The local and remote folders were already synchronized, that is why 0 files were transferred. File list generation did take only 3 minutes but the whole process took more than 1.5 hours to finish and consumed a whopping 1.9 GB of downloaded bytes and 0.4 GB of uploaded bytes as per network counters. For what? Zero files, Zero bytes of file data.

As far as I can see, rsync under cygwin is also too slow to be useful.

Vinod