Re: PING: Deprecation of -mno-cygwin.

Christopher Faylor <cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please <at> cygwin.com> writes:
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 02:22:03PM +0000, Greg Chicares wrote:

> >> That's very interesting. I've been using -mno-cygwin for several years,
> >> having done many many thousands of compiles and links using it, and I
> >> have
> >> never had a problem with either headers or libraries! Is there a
> >> recommended alternative?
> >
> >The recommended alternative is the forthcoming mingw cross-compiler.
> >
> >I think Yaakov's right to recommend a clean break with the past: ...
> >which would put all the confusion to rest.
>
> Big DITTO.  As Dave said, the option is already gone...

Moving to a better solution is great!  But isn't it customary to have some
overlap period where the deprecated solution still works (but with ugly
warnings) while the new solution is available?

I've used -mno-cygwin for many years, quite successfully, with no problems
from headers or libraries.  I'm willing to upgrade all my Makefiles, but it
would be nice to avoid a period where my Makefiles are broken and the new
solution is not yet available.
--
Eric Backus