Re: syslog-ng: some packaging glitches

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 18:29, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Mar 19 16:36, Julio Emanuel wrote:
>> Hi Corinna (I think this is with you),
>
> Nevertheless, this is the wrong mailing list. ÂNext time, please report
> problems always to the cygwin AT cygwin dot com ML, except you're a
> package maintainer or you're providing code to setup.exe. ÂThanks.

Ooops. Sorry for the noise.
And the funny thing is, I told myself two or three times to not forget
to check the correct list. Things happen! :)

>> ...to put the 'lost colon' back in place in the first line written to
>> the syslog-ng.conf :)
>
> The patch seems to be reverted, but I see.

Ooops (again). But you got the point. I think you have that
mind-reading capability... :)

> ÂI'll update that and send
> the patch upstream. ÂThanks.
>
>> Now, for the part I didn't manage to solve yet: the syslog-ng service
>> also spits this warning (error?) when starting: "Error resolving user;
>> user='system'", but I have the 'vanilla' system entry in /etc/passwd:
>> ~ $ grep system /etc/passwd
>> system:*:18:544:,S-1-5-18::
>> and indeed all does seem well:
>> ~ $ id system
>> uid=18(system) gid=544(Administrators) groups=544(Administrators)
>>
>> Is it any misleading message, maybe?
>
> Is the /etc/syslog-ng.conf file owned by the system user?

~ $ ls -l /etc/syslog-ng.conf
-rw-r--r--+ 1 security Domain Users 1171 Mar 19 16:07 /etc/syslog-ng.conf

No it isn't. it is owned by an admin user named 'security' . Should be
owned by system?
Note that the default config contains the lines
  owner("SYSTEM");
  group("root");
  perm(0660);
that defines the default ownership and mode of created files.
But this IS working:
~ $ ls -l /var/log/*messages
-rw-rw---- 1 system root 1854 Mar 19 23:28 /var/log/20090319_messages

And so this error message (from /var/log/syslog-ng.log) seems to be
misleading...
Is there anything I can do to help hunting down the root cause (if
there is a need to do so)?

>> And finally, the most wanted (at the moment): The man page refers
>> 'NOTE: This file is not up to date. Please refer to the html
>> documentation'. Looking at
>> ~ $ cygcheck -l syslog-ng
>> /usr/sbin/syslog-ng.exe
>> /usr/bin/loggen.exe
>> /usr/bin/syslog-ng-config
>> /usr/share/man/man5/syslog-ng.conf.5
>> /usr/share/man/man8/syslog-ng.8
>> /usr/share/doc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf.sample
>> /usr/share/doc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf.solaris
>> /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/syslog-ng.README
>>
>> Hrmmm... where is it?
>
> Not available, sorry. ÂThe HTML documentation was not part of the
> upstream package, so I couldn't provide it. ÂI'm not even sure the
> documentation for the 3.0 series is finshed yet.

Hm, I see.
After a bit of research, here it is a link for anyone who might be
asking for documentation:
http://www.balabit.com/dl/guides/syslog-ng-v3.0-guide-admin-en.pdf

The html version is also there, but it is an ugly conversion.

Thanks for the help!