Re: Q: Is anybody here using the CYGWIN=codepage:oem setting?

On Mar 19 10:33, David Rothenberger wrote:
If you've set $LANG to, say, "en_US.UTF-8", Cygwin would use the UTF-8
charset *iff* the application switched the codepage by calling something
along the lines of `setlocale(LC_ALL, "");'.
An application which does not call setlocale (which means, it's not
native language aware anyway) would still use the default ANSI codepage.

I ran into an issue yesterday where I was trying to "du -sh" a directory that contained files whose names included UTF characters, I think. Without CYGWIN=codepage:utf8, this failed. It worked fine when I added CYGWIN=codepage:utf8.

Yes, sure. As described in the User's Guide. That's exactly what bugs me right now. To get UTF-8 support you have to set LANG or LC_ALL or whatever, *and* CYGWIN=codepage:utf8.

In my specific case, I didn't need to set LANG or LC_ALL, just CYGWIN=codepage:utf8.

So my question is, will this work if codepage is dropped and I set LANG
to en_US.UTF-8? Is there anything in the Cygwin DLL itself that uses
codepage that might be valuable to enable even for applications that
aren't native language aware and don't call setlocale()?

Not exactly. However, assuming you have a file using characters which are not in your current ANSI codeset, then you could only manipulate that file when setting LANG="xx_YY.UTF-8", and only in applications which call setlocale().

I have no idea whether du calls setlocale() or not. I think you're saying that today, with codepage:utf8, it is able to get sizes for files using non-ANSI characters, but if codepage is removed, it would not be able to do so unless it called setlocale(). Is that right?

The Abrams' Principle:
        The shortest distance between two points is off the wall.