Re: Message during linking

Eric Lilja wrote:
> Dave Korn wrote:
>> It has started to happen now because libstdc++ is a DLL for the first
>> time. We've fixed upstream ld to enable the feature by default and these
>> warnings will disappear in the next binutils release.

  Hmm, it occurs to me that for the benefit of users with older binutils I
could add -Wl,--enable-auto-init to the compiler's specs for a release or two.

> Ok, sounds great! And the benefits of a libstdc++ as a DLL is reduced
> code size?

  Yep, plus exceptions being throwable from DLLS.

>>   Add -Wl,--enable-auto-import to those LDFLAGS.
>
> Is that preferred over -enable-auto-import ?

  I was surprised the unadorned version even worked.  Yes, since you are
(correctly) using the compiler driver to invoke the linker, you should use the
-Wl prefix that means "pass this through to the linker".

> Also, will the next test release be 4.3.3 or 4.3.2?

  4.3.3.

> Also, thanks for your detailed reply Dave and thanks alot for your work
> on gcc! It's fun to use cygwin again with 1.7 and a shiny new gcc!

  Still got a bit of polishing to do on the compiler :)

    cheers,
      DaveK