Re: under cygwin, zsh cannot run when built against ncurses9-5.7-13

A.R. Burgers wrote:
> Any special reason for specifying -lm and -lc when building d3.dll?
> Without them, pow is mentioned only once in the objdump output. However
> on 1.5 pow is mentioned only once, even if -lm and -lc
> are specified.
>
> The exact same problem as with zsh, I also run into with fltk's
> fluid.exe (from current 1.3 svn) on cygwin 1.7 and gcc 3.4.4.
> fltk btw does not link to curses libraries.

Hmm. All of these packages are mine (libpng, jpeg, ncurses), and all
have been rebuilt recently after a long fallow period. However, I didn't
do anything really tricky when building these libraries, so they oughta
Just Work.  They were more-or-less just ./configure; make; make install
in each case, with a few local patches that were constant between old
("working") and new ("not working"?).

What they all have in common is, that the older ("working") versions
were built using gcc-3.4.4-3 and binutils-20060817-1.  The new ("not
working") versions were built using gcc-3.4.4-999 and binutils-20080624-2.

Now, binutils-20080624-2 has been in use for over six months. I
*suppose* it's possible that it has a bug that is only now being
tickled.  But (a) the internal apps in each package, which use the DLLs
and import libs and were built using the "new" binutils, all work, and
(b) folks have been using the "new" linker for quite some time now
without these sorts of reports.  gcc is different, but it's pretty much
out of the loop by the time the things that could cause the reported
symptoms could occur; it's all ld at that point.

Looking at the DLLs and import libs, I don't see anything odd. I'd
really like to figure out if the problem is on the library creation end
(either in gcc, ld, or something stupid I may have done/am still doing
wile creating them) -- which means I have to rebuild all of my newly
updated packages. AGAIN.

Or if the problem is on the client end: either something silly is
happening in both Vin Shelton's AND Teun Burger's build process, or
their ld is having trouble.  Both seem unlikely.

I'm going to try the following:
(1) make sure I can reproduce the OP's troubles with zsh and new ncurses.

(2) downgrade binutils to 20060817 and see if that fixes it. Not really
sure what that shows, since

  library linked with old ld, linked into app using new ld --> works
  library linked with new ld, linked into app using new ld --> broken
? library linked with old ld, linked into app using old ld --> ??
? library linked with new ld, linked into app using old ld --> ??

If both of the last two work, then we have a case where for some reason
new ld can't eat its own dog food -- but it's been happily doing so for
six months until just now (with other maintainer's released libs). Well,
it'll be another data point...

--
Chuck