Re: Replacing setup.exe and cygcheck with dpkg (Was: Re: cygcheck typo in both manpage and --help)

On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 12:42:31AM +0100, Sjors Gielen wrote:
> Christopher Faylor schreef:
>>> setup.exe and cygcheck are very nice but was wondering if the idea of
>>> using
>>> yum and rpm was ever tossed around?
>> Yes, it has been discussed many times.  There are big barriers to
>> getting these working, mainly due to problems installing already-running
>> programs.
>> cgf
>
> Hey Christopher,
>
> I've succesfully ported dpkg. In a few weeks time, I'll start working on my
> Debian Cygwin project again, I'm currently busy with other things - but
> maybe you could take a look at my dpkg changes and see if you can make a
> Cygwin-dpkg which is compatible with cygcheck and setup.exe. Dpkg is very
> easy to use, as is apt-get which I was busy porting before I stopped
> temporarily.

Sorry but I don't see us moving to dpkg.  If we were going to use
anything it would probably be rpm.  Cygwin is owned by Red Hat and
hosted on a Red Hat sponsored system after all.

> (Since 1.7 already fixes the problem of installing running programs,

Color me dubious.  How did you solve the problem of installing cygwin over
a running version of cygwin?

cgf