Re: [1.7] Editing in /etc

Chris Sutcliffe wrote:
Perhaps I spoke to soon...  I'm still having the issue, this time with
a domain based user.
I can't reproduce that, neither from a console window, nor from a mintty
window.

I've tried from both a console window and mintty and experience the same behaviour.

I executed 'mkpasswd -l -c > /etc/passwd' which again acted as
expected, and the /etc/passwd file was created.  I went to edit the
file with 'vim -D /etc/passwd' to change the users' default group and
vim again displayed the message about an error opening input.
So this does not only occur in /etc?  What happens if you start vim
without the -D flag?

This only occurs for any file in /etc. For simplicity, I tried:

$ cd /etc
$ echo "Some text" > test.txt
$ cat test.txt
Some text
$ vim text.txt

and all I get is a screen with nothing but "test.txt" in the lower
left hand corner.

Looking in /dev I have:
The content of /dev shouldn't matter, in theory.

$ ls -ltr /proc/self/fd/0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 csutclif Users 0 Nov 30  2006 /proc/self/fd/0 -> /dev/tty0

however, there is no /dev/tty0. Should there be? If so, how do I create it?
http://cygwin.com/1.7/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html#pathnames-posixdevices

Ah, so the permissions on tty0 look correct:

$ ls -l /dev/tty0
crw-rw-rw- 1 csutclif Users 136, 0 Nov 30  2006 /dev/tty0

I'm at a loss here, could anybody hazard an idea as to what could be
happening, or how I could further debug the issue?
Maybe something in /etc is making problems but I can't imagine what that
is.  This is a typical case where you just have to debug this.  Strace
might reveal a problem here.  Or maybe it's a BLODA problem.

How do I capture the strace output to a file? I tried 'strace vim /etc/passwd > strace.out' but vim complained about stdout being redirected.

strace -o strace.out vim /etc/passwd

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746