Re: Fw: patch command giving permission denied

Aaron Gray schreef:
On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 1:30 AM, Aaron Gray <aaronngray.lists@googlemail.com> wrote:
I am getting the following on executing the patch command :-

bash: /usr/bin/patch: Permission Denied

It works on my other Vista machine okay (That is an Enterprise one rather than a Home version)

Anyone got any ideas why and how to fix it

It works fine on my other Vista Home machine.

It works okay if I run cygwin bash as an administrator.

Why is this machine behaving differently and how do I fix it ?

I tried reloading Cygwin from scratch, but that did not help.

Aaron

I had this problem too. It's because of the new UAC in Windows. You need to add a .manifest file, because patch.exe contains one of "install", "setup" and "patch", which UAC does not trust right away. It's Microsoft's way of securing things. I've attached my patch.exe.manifest, you should put it in the /usr/bin directory of Cygwin (i.e. in the same directory as patch.exe). Check it out if you want, it's simply XML and all it actually contains is "hey UAC, just ignore your existing rules on this file for me, it's fine".

Microsoft Security(tm) is awesome.

Sjors
<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
  <assemblyIdentity version="1.0.0.0"
     processorArchitecture="X86"
     name="patch.exe"
     type="win32"/>

  <!-- Identify the application security requirements. -->
  <trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
    <security>
      <requestedPrivileges>
        <requestedExecutionLevel
          level="asInvoker"