Re: Another long pathname question

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 09:33:07PM -0500, Jason Pyeron wrote:
>> From: cygwin-ownerX

Oh!  Is that who it came from?

Yes.  Got that the first time.

>> Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2009 18:36

Hmm.  It's 10:18PM here.

>> To: cygwinX

What?  You're responding to email to the mailing list?  Oh, wait.
This is the mailing list.

>> Subject: Re: Another long pathname question

Is that an echo?

>> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 02:29:57PM -0500, Greg Freemyer wrote:
>>>If the path is short, it uses the full long directory name as expected.
>>>If the path exceeds 260, it reverts to using the 8.3 names, thus giving
>>>a workaround that will allow you to descend deeper into a directory
>>>structure.
>>>
>>>Interesting trick.  Maybe you should consider something similar for
>>>cygwin.
>
>I read this as: When launching a non aware application..., silly me.

I read this as you not understanding that we don't want to add hacks to
accommodate uncommon corner cases which slow down Cygwin's path
processing.  Clever me.

cgf