Re: sshd w/o admin?

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 12:33 AM, Larry Hall (Cygwin)
<reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com> wrote:

> Aaron Davies wrote:
> >
> > is it possible to get sshd working w/o admin privs?
>
> Running 'ssh-host-config' requires adminstrative privileges to create
> users to run 'sshd' as a service (for W2K3 and later) and for privilege
> separation.  If you don't want/need these, then you can bypass these
> as part of the configuration.  This will mean:
>
>  1. You cannot run sshd as a service (on W2K3 or later) so you will not
>     be able to use pub-key authentication.  On W2K and XP systems, you
>     can use the existing 'SYSTEM' user to run 'sshd' as a service if
>     you'd like.
>
>  2. You will always be running 'sshd' as a "privileged" user but this
>     doesn't mean much if you're not running it as a user with elevated
>     privileges, which you're likely not if you chose not to run as a
>     service, this is likely a non-issue.

I'm on XP Pro. How would I go about installing it as a service under
SYSTEM? ssh-host-config doesn't seem to be able to do that for me (log
attached, as is cygcheck output).

>> i've run ssh-host-config (without creating a new user) and started
>> sshd manually from the shell.
>>
>> when i try to connect, i get "Connection closed by 127.0.0.1" and an
>> error "sshd: PID 6520: fatal: seteuid 45758: Permission denied" shows
>> up in the event viewer
>>
>> "id" idnicates that 45758 is me
>>
>> any suggestions?
>
> Use password authentication?

I don't get to an authentication stage at all AFAICT.
--
Aaron Davies
aaron.davies@gmail.com