xterm losing accent keys

When I press ` ^ ¨ or ~ and then space keys in xterm, it ignores the accents and puts a simple space. The same with composition of accented characters like é. What worse is: this behaviour can change back to normal and back to improper, and I have no clue as to upon exactly what? Seems that sometimes just a change of focus to another window (xemacs) is sufficient, and the accent keys get deprived of function.

It's a really dangerous problem. Imagine: I'd launch rm -f * (instead of rm -f *~) and pop would go the weasel. Anyway it's darn annoying.

The question is: How can I force proper handling of accent keys? Preferably a method more elegant than a reboot.

--

Med vänliga hälsningar                                       -----
With best regards yours                                    /   A   \