Re: 64 bit system compatibility

Giacomo Bruno wrote:
Hello,

I just moved to a new machine with a 64 bit windows vista os . I wanted
to install and run cygwin. While the installation process run to the
end, programs like emacs xterm and xwin do not work. I also do not get
a home directory when I run for the first time cygwin (I thought it
would be created automatically). I just read on the cygwin FAQ that "..As far as we know no one is working on a native 64 bit version of
Cygwin.."

I interpret it like my system is unsupported and I should not expect the
above mentioned programs from the current version of cygwin to work out
of the box. Is that correct? Is it planned to release a Vista 64-bit
compatible cygwin version? When?
Actually I'd be happy if I managed to have at least ssh, scp and xterm
work. Is it just a matter of recompiling them with a proper compiler or
it is more than that?
I have had much better luck (to say the least) with Vista 64b and Cygwin
than I ever did with Vista 32b, including but not limited to X windows.

BTB, at random intervals over the last several years X has been
problematical with XP, and Vista 32 b. So far with Yaakov's resurrection
of X, things are humming.

Having said that I've adopted 'mintty' full force, avoid 'xterm', and only use
X when I have a graphical app that requires it.

Thanks, Yaakov.