Debugging a time zone problem

I've built emacs 23 under both cygwin 1.5 and 1.7, and it runs fine for me except for a glitch involving time zones: Emacs gets the local time zone wrong by 4 hours. I've reported this to the emacs-devel list [1], and the developer who responded asked me to try to get some advice on this list. Here are two facts that might provide clues:

1. The problem disappears if I set the environment variable TZ before starting emacs.

2. The problem disappears if I run emacs under gdb. [This, of course, makes debugging difficult.]

I would appreciate any advice or hints as to how I (and the emacs developers) might track this down. Also, the developers would find it useful to have a description of how cygwin handles Windows time zones.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Ken

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-02/msg00305.html