RE: New Cygwin install and "configure: command not found" installing other packages

A) my hope is to use as little "shell" as possible.  I am installing Cygwin
in order to be able to use a specific "product" that does not (normally)
require shell programming.

B) I am using the commands as they appear in the INSTALL file for the
packages that I am using. (I simply made a typo in my original note)

C) After trying the original command, I ran this from the directory where
the "configure" file was (which I verified with "dir").

when I typed
   configure
it got the "configure: command not found" message

when I typed
   sh configure

it worked.

The file "configure" is NOT something that I created but was supplied with
the packages.  Two packages that have had this same problem are "from
reliable" sites. For example:
  http://gmplib.org/
  http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/libtool.html

http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/berkeley-db/db/index.html

I can't believe that ALL 3 have made a mistake in their INSTALL instructions
or in their "configure" file.

I am certain, as I said, that I have done something wrong. (Possibly not
installed something in Cygwin that I should have).  However, I need help in
finding out what it is.